Skip to main content

Trip to Rajasthan

So it all started when we decided to visit India on Holi for 3 weeks and while planning our trip I thought why not I spend a week on the road. But I was in dilemma: which place this time ? Somewhere not very far yet not very close, place I have not explored and a visit for which 6 days should be just fine. After spending almost a year abroad I desperately wanted to feel and live the culture of my home, my country. Colourful people, vibrant culture, variety in food, grand havelis, desert and lakes, I am not surprised if you guessed it correct: "Rajasthan".

Where in Rajasthan ?

I have been reading auto car magazine for ages and I remember an article from few years back on Audi's promotional drive from Churu, hottest place in India, to Drass, coldest place in india. Since then Churu was in the back of my mind for a road trip. A friend from Churu helped me decide the route from delhi and I was all set to pack my bags. Though not my kind of thing, I booked my hotels almost 45 days in advance. I am never good at planning in an advance and prefer to take things as it comes during a trip. At the end I was back to my old way when I decided to cancel all my bookings after talking to the friend, apparently there are too many options available and advance booking is not required.

Route:

Day 1: Delhi - Churu

Day 2: Churu- Ramgarh - Mahansar - Churu

Day 3: Churu - Bikaner

8Day 4: Bikaner - Deshnok - Ajmer

Day 5: Ajmer - Jaipur

Day 6: Jaipur - Delhi


Pulsar 220
I and my sister
Though I finalised the route but was not sure whether to pick one of my bikes, Avenger or Karizma, or to rent one from Delhi. I did some research on bike rentals and among several rentals in Delhi I found "Stonehead Bikes" the best and with positive reviews. I ended up renting Pulsar 220 since there were no other options available on such a short notice; a day before my trip began. This time I was not solo and my younger sister joined me. She is 20 and though a novice biker, she was more excited than myself. Afterall, this was her first road trip on bike. We packed our bags and were all set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our 8-Day Road Trip in Oman: An Easygoing Journey Through Muscat, Deserts, and Mountains

Every Christmas trip to India during our ten years in the Netherlands ended up being 100% about family—our grand stopover dreams (Istanbul, Dubai, Muscat) always took a backseat. This December 2025, with 32 vacation days and a baby on the way, I was determined to finally break the pattern. Entering my second trimester feeling energized, and knowing how much life shifts post-baby, I wanted to seize the moment. We needed a warm, peaceful spot for short hikes and great food—no chaotic megacities. Dubai and Istanbul were out; Muscat, Oman won. Its slow pace, warm weather, and welcoming vibe hit every mark. We booked a two-to-three-day stopover for our return leg, ready to finally make it happen. The Journey Begins: Lucknow & Narora On December 18th, two flights via Mumbai brought us to a chilly, foggy Lucknow. The airport was surprisingly calm, slow-paced, and clean—a peaceful welcome before my father-in-law picked us up. After a short drive, my mother-in-law welcomed us with open arms...

Iron Butt - to Be or not to Be

"The scorching heat, diversions, smoke, dust and ruthless trucks, it was a struggle to reach and maintain 90. Insects bumping into my helmet and pitch dark highways, I was drowsy but determined to finish what I promised myself.  It was almost 13 hours since I left Bangalore and was about to reach my destination, Pune, riding solo, overnight on Yamaha SZ-R 150cc."  For the first time I actually realized what a challenge and physical stretch it would be to ride non-stop 24 hour to cover 1000 miles on an Indian road.  I am talking about Iron Butt ride: “The SaddleSore”. But wait, if you are thinking that’s impossible; just imagine 1500 miles in 36 hours, the BunBurner ride. It takes more than passion, skills and best gears & need not to say it’s not for the hobbyist. These are races against time. The Iron Butt association has more than 60,000 members across the globe and handful from India. If one has to drive on freeways and speed is not an issue, it’s still chal...

Day 4 Bikaner to Ajmer

The day on the road started at 7 and our first destination was Karni Mata temple. This is the temple which many of you would have heard or read about; the temple of rats. Apparently, there are almost 25000 rats in and around the temple and are considered holy. The temple is 600 years old and is located in a small town called Deshnok. Deshnok is 30 km from Bikaner and around 3 km inland from highway. The area around the temple is very clean and has typical shops selling snacks, breakfast and offerings to the god. We parked our motorcycle, bought puja thali and draped dupatta around our heads before entering the temple. It was the most unusual and quirky scene inside; rats and pigeons at every inch space and rats specially concentrated around a vessel full of milk. Rats and pigeons sharing together the bountiful of grain spread all around, I would rather call it the temple of rats and pigeons. Since rats are well aware that this is the safest place on earth for them, they were...