Skip to main content

Dubrovnik - Pearl of Adriatic

42.6507° N, 18.0944° E. This almost looked like a complicated password to me when I was checking it. Truth be told, it really was. But when I managed to get past it, it opened a gateway to a fabulous, almost surreal experience of ancient history, royalty and an incredible canvas of natural beauty. It was on a road trip that I did covering 4 Eastern European countries that I reached Croatia and then of course, had to visit Dubrovnik. It seemed to be a cliché, like doing the touristy thing, but let me tell you it is a place that will fill your senses like no other. George Bernard Shaw described it as “The Pearl of the Adriatic” and today Dubrovnik is one of the most sought after tourist destination in the Mediterranean Sea. The playground of business czars, movie stars, sports celebrities and of course those looking for that “perfect picture moment” to create a buzz on their social media pages. An interesting side information is - Ragusa – which is the historic name for Dubrovnik was where the ”invention” of quarantine happened. In 1377 to prevent the spread of the black plague pandemic, the city’s Great Council passed a law requiring all incoming ships and trade caravans arriving from infected areas to submit to 30 days of isolation. In the 16th century, the city-republic had one of the world's largest shipping fleets and was a might naval power too. 

What was my first impression about it like?

Well, it was almost like being transported to a different era of aristocracy, elegance and sophistication. I stood there totally over awed by the magnificent, medieval walled city and looked beyond to the shimmering, azure blue Adriatic.


A sight that I will never forget. In fact I feel this happens to everyone who sees the walled city the first time. It simply is a stunning sight.

Oh another aside. Game of Thrones was shot at this scenic location. Now you will get why I said it is stunning.

Whatever your itinerary, if you visit Croatia, Dubrovnik is the first “MUST GO” “MUST SEE” destination. But remember, you will need to spend at least 2 full days here to really enjoy and appreciate its treasures. 

Now for the major attractions! 

Of course “The City of Walls” is the place to see and be seen in. Built as far back as the13th Century the Walls are massive pieces of different architecture styles and hold six fortresses within them.


 
Inside Tips - Plan to enter early. Ticketed Entry to the Walls starts as early as 8 am. What the early riser gets as a reward, is less crowd and of course a chance to pick and choose the best spot for clicking some amazing pictures.  There is an Early Bird Tour offered. Check that out!

Walking on the narrow, shiny limestone clad streets I slowly saw the ancient town share its secrets with me. The past hidden in the stone came alive. It was mesmerizing, the ancient history, the stunning views, the brilliant ocean vistas, everything invited to be clicked. It becomes really difficult to choose what picture to click and where. Everything is picture perfect!

What I would also recommend is the Game of Thrones themed tours. It is truly worth checking out. Walking through the old town will never bore you. At every nook and corner, a piece of ancient history in the form of a fort or historical landmarks catch your eye. 

Inside Tips - Street shops inside old town are expensive compared to the shops outside, so I would definitely recommended you buy stuff from outside. Also do start your walk from the Ploče side. This way you will finish the steepest climb first. Also bear in mind that the walk can be a bit strenuous. So do take care.  

Now for the things that caught my attention in the City of Walls!

Stradun of course is definitely on top of the list. Paved with ancient shining stone blocks that the entire street has a distinct look of its own. It is the street that divides the city into Northern and Southern halves and is also called Placa. I won’t even mind calling Stradun the heartbeat of the City of Walls. It is here that you will discover a vibrant mix of culture, people, food and a whole lot of events happening Walk down the street from one end to another and you will discover magnificent churches, palaces, sculptures and even the third oldest running pharmacy in the world.  

Inside Tips Stradun offers the most wonderful spots to capture the essence of the city in a photograph. You will be truly spoilt for choices. Take your time and simply stroll along the street. A lot of surprises will pop up.

My other favorite experience at the City of Walls was Mount Srd. About 415 metres above sea level, it offers exceptional views of the Dubrovnik coastline and an enticing panorama encompassing beautiful scenes of the city and the old walls.

You can reach Mount Srd in a 45mins hike but please wear good walking shoes. Or else take a cable car, or go either by a motor car, taxi or by bus. As it was one of the best view point and best sun set point in Dubrovnik, it was definitely one of the places to visit on my list.

Inside Tips - Although I myself could not do the trek to the top, I sincerely recommend it that you hike to the top. It’s just a 45 to 50 minute trek, but you can take your time and stop at places to take in the breathtaking scenery.  Also remember to carry water and sunscreen with you. A hat will also be useful. 

My Story on top of Mount Srd

I was engrossed in taking in the sights around me that it was almost close to sunset before I even realized it. By then it was too late for me to catch a bus. So we ended up taking a taxi. The taxi driver charged us an exorbitant sum and said he will wait for us for only 30 minutes after we had reached the top. We had to agree as we did not have any other option, cable car operators were on strike that day and it was too to hike it up.

We reached the top of Mount Srd after driving through winding roads, a patch of evergreen forests, and plenty of switch back road trails.  But once we reached the top it sure felt we were on the roof of Dubrovnik and there was no way we could go back in just 30 minutes. We did not even know if there was any bus or had the last bus departed already.

We just set everything aside and decided to enjoy the moment and not bother about how to reach down after sunset. And it was all truly worth it. The mesmerizing view of the old town and the City Walls and the beautiful sun kissing the ocean as it slowly faded into infinity.

This had to rank as perhaps one of the best sunsets I have ever seen in my life. I was simply frozen in the moment, silent and totally spellbound by the beauty of it. So much so, that I sat there for some more time staring into the open ocean, even after the sun had dropped into the unknown.

My other favorite at Dubrovnik!

It has to be Lokrum Island. Just a 10 mins ferry ride from the old harbor, it’s an island that you must not miss. It’s a forested island full of beautiful trees and shady gardens. And the waters are crystal clear and inviting. There are lots of viewpoints, walking trails, a monastery. You can easily spend half a day to one day on this island. It was so refreshing to escape the city crowd and be one with nature. Reaching here is easy as there are half hourly boats available.


Inside TipsDo remember to carry a swimming costume and a change of clothes. The waters are simply irresistible. Also do carry a picnic basket of food and water. It is slightly expensive on the island.

Other Insights

Dubrovnik is more expensive compared to other cities of Croatia but it’s still cheaper than any city of Western Europe. Night view of the city, old town and streets is recommended. As there will be lots of walking to do, a good pair of hiking shoes is recommended. Dubrovnik is in the sunny part of Europe, so wearing sun screen, glasses and a hat is also suggested. City booking ticket online is recommended to avoid the long queues. Oh and if you are still wondering what this 42.6507° N, 18.0944° E  is?

They are the co-ordinates for Dubrovnik!!

Happy Sightseeing! Go prepared. Stay safe. Learn something new about the places you visit!

Do post your comments and queries to me! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Day 1 - Delhi to Churu

Though I was all set I was yet to share the plan with my father. Not surprisingly he wasn't pleased and this was not the first time. By now I have practiced the art of convincing my dad. A day before the journey I went through my most basic checklist: full fuel tank - checked, air pressure - checked. It was cold outside and I made sure to park the bike in shade to avoid early morning ignition issues. By now I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, that very same feeling I get a night before my bike trips; trying hard to sleep but countless thoughts and the anxiety encroaching my mind. Almost 7 in the morning I and my sister were ready to leave and as a rule of thumb I switched on the engine and left it running for couple of minutes. Though a rare sight, my husband woke up early to click some pics for us and see us off. The next moment I was on the road heading towards Churu (enroute Bahadurgarh, Sampla, Bhiwani and Jhunjhunu). Barely I had travelled few miles w