Skip to main content

Iron Butt - to Be or not to Be

"The scorching heat, diversions, smoke, dust and ruthless trucks, it was a struggle to reach and maintain 90. Insects bumping into my helmet and pitch dark highways, I was drowsy but determined to finish what I promised myself. It was almost 13 hours since I left Bangalore and was about to reach my destination, Pune, riding solo, overnight on Yamaha SZ-R 150cc." 


For the first time I actually realized what a challenge and physical stretch it would be to ride non-stop 24 hour to cover 1000 miles on an Indian road. I am talking about Iron Butt ride: “The SaddleSore”. But wait, if you are thinking that’s impossible; just imagine 1500 miles in 36 hours, the BunBurner ride. It takes more than passion, skills and best gears & need not to say it’s not for the hobbyist. These are races against time.
The Iron Butt association has more than 60,000 members across the globe and handful from India. If one has to drive on freeways and speed is not an issue, it’s still challenging yet doable but it’s a completely different game on an Indian road.
The Iron Butt: for some it is lunacy or just a piece of paper. I personally don’t mind labelled “world’s toughest rider”. Not because I want to prove something to the world but purely for myself.
There are few excellent highways to ride on, such as Bangalore-Pune, a single stretch of 850 km, but then it’s not surprising to come across road diggings, animals strolling, lunatics shifting lanes bluntly and no sign boards for long stretches.
At the same time some of the riding essentials are actually luxury in India. It’s almost impossible to buy quality biking gears at reasonable cost, ABS is still limited, features such as MSC (Motorcycle stability control) & traction control are nonexistent, low quality fuel, limited liquid cooled machines and dubious insurance coverage. Last but not least terrible service quality even in authorised service centres: You don’t pay for getting problems fixed but for acquiring new ones and it is actually a nightmare of endless attempt of trying different mechanics.
It doesn’t end here; the most critical factor is fitness. Hands on throttle, butt on the saddle and spine upright not for five, ten or fifteen hours but for the whole day. This needs stretching beyond all physical limitations especially when you are also fighting with your mind to stay awake. Nicotine, tobacco or caffeine sometimes helps and few even have to take medicines.
In short it needs balls of steel and streak of madness.
However much it may sound moronic and stupid, it is no small feat to achieve and I hugely respect all those who dared to complete and especially the ones who rode on small engine bikes.
There are many who succeeded, few who died while attempting and even someone can get to an extent to commit a fraud. I know Devajit Saha, his passion pushed him to complete the task not once or twice but five times, even once on a 97.3cc Hero Honda Splendour. Ironically, I also know a case in which one of the “Bikerni” members sheepishly faked the certificate.
Anyway, you will not only be the one to face consequences if something goes horribly wrong on the road. A fellow road user who has nothing to do with your attempt may be caught in between. Still, I am not against these rides in India as long as it’s well prepared mentally and physically and not just an attempt to show off. One cannot hurry himself into getting certified when the most fundamental requirements are persistence and patience. If one cannot complete in the very first attempt, it’s better to turn back and try again instead of killing oneself or someone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Space Cake - An illusory journey

Space cake : an experience that was so illusionary, unreal, other worldly and quite frustrating at the same time. Though not looked upon with much respect among the dutch, it's quite a popular item in the list of thing to try for tourists in Amsterdam. Though I read about its effect and experiences but it only made into my list when I moved to Amsterdam almost 2 years back. While wandering through the streets of Amsterdam, a coffee shop in particular rang a bell as I remember it was mentioned by a dutch friend in context with genuine weed and space cake. Not as planned, I and my husband decided to pop in with a pure intention to just gain some awareness about it and were back within few minutes with handful of muffins and cakes, three pieces to be precise. We blindly followed the recommendation and instructions from the man in the shop. It was a week day and we decided to go less adventurous this time and wait until Friday to give it a try. It rested silently, like any other