Skip to main content

A guide for how to spend 4 days in Normandy, France !

Whole of France is beautiful. In the South there are cities like Nice, Cannes,Marseille and North has a region such as Normandy. Its varied coastline includes white-chalk cliffs and WW2 beaches, including Omaha beach, site of famous D-day landing. Just off the coast, the rocky island of Mont Saint Micheal is topped by soaring Gothic abbey. We covered all these sites and also the city of Rouen,Etretat.We spent about 4 days in the region which was good enough to cover all beautiful sites. Here, I am sharing my 4-days itinerary for Normandy.
Day 1: Rouen
First city in our itinerary was Rouen, historical capital of Normandy France. Rouen is famous for its beautiful Norte Dame Cathedral and astronomical clock from 13th century. To admire the panoramic view of the city, you can also climb to clock tower with entry ticket. It's center is quite compact and can easily be covered by walk. Cobble street lanes and colorful timbered houses make it a perfect spot for photos. 
Church of Saint Joan of Arc is a catholic church. It's shape is very unusual and quite a contrast for the surrounding with timbered house. Entry to the church is free and atmosphere inside church is very peaceful.
Next to the church stands a small market hall, evoking the ancient tradition of trade occurring in the square as long ago as Joan of Arc’s time.


Day 2: Etretat
This has to be my favorite place from Normandy. Famous for its white cliffs and blue water beaches. Its an absolute gem of Normandy. In spite of being so touristy, it doesn't disappoint you a bit. You can relax in sun by the beach (water is very cold even in summers,its Atlantic after all) or kayak under the pearl like white cliffs. For the best views of the cliffs and beach, you will have to hike a bit up further. There are several hike trails available. In low tide, its also possible to go to the base of cliffs and explore the ridges and rocky beaches below.
Etretat is mostly about beaches and cliffs but there are a few sights which you can explore such as LES JARDINS D'ETRETAT.  A garden with the blend of landscape art and land art sculptures. Best time to visit the garden is in the evening when gardens are bathed in soft evening light.The garden has some magical views over the dramatic rocky Etretat coast. Entry ticket to the garden is 12.50 euro which is a bit expensive for the size of the park.
Day 3: Mont Saint Michel
One of the most famous site of France, Situated at just 3 hours drive from Paris or Rouen.The architecture of Mont-Saint-Michel Abbey is evidence of the mastery and expertise. It's so huge that it can be seen from far away. It's a small island and a holy site. Depending upon the time of the year,it can be surrounded by water. Its absolutely magical then. In summers, its accessible by shuttle bus but i would recommend hiking as it is all part of experience. There are plenty of spots for photos on the way. Entry to the village is free and ticket is required only if you want to visit Abbey. I would say its very touristic place but well worth a visit. Restaurant and hotel in the island is very expensive. So book your accommodation away from the island and carry your own lunch.

Day 4: Other famous sites of Normandy
Some parts of Normandy region of France was a battle field during world war Two. This day we dedicated to explore those sites. Most of the Normandy has no such vibes left which reminds of World war 2 times but Omaha beach and surrounding areas took us back to that time. Lots of army, army vehicles, lots of memorials, cemeteries. I could somehow imagine the older times. 
Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial contains the graves of nearly 9,400 war dead, and nearly 1,600 names on the Walls of the Missing, most of whom lost their lives in the D-Day landings and ensuing operations.
The D-Day landings were the most vital part to liberate Europe from years of German military occupation. 60-mile coastal stretch divided into five sectors, codenamed Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha and Utah. During our travel, we visited only Omaha beach.This beach was for American troops who suffered worst on D-Day.
P.C: Google
I was very sad after seeing these historic monuments which reminds us of the brutal history and how at times, we have failed as a human being. Having said that, I am happy that we learnt our lessons and right now we are living in the most peaceful times in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Day 1 - Delhi to Churu

Though I was all set I was yet to share the plan with my father. Not surprisingly he wasn't pleased and this was not the first time. By now I have practiced the art of convincing my dad. A day before the journey I went through my most basic checklist: full fuel tank - checked, air pressure - checked. It was cold outside and I made sure to park the bike in shade to avoid early morning ignition issues. By now I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, that very same feeling I get a night before my bike trips; trying hard to sleep but countless thoughts and the anxiety encroaching my mind. Almost 7 in the morning I and my sister were ready to leave and as a rule of thumb I switched on the engine and left it running for couple of minutes. Though a rare sight, my husband woke up early to click some pics for us and see us off. The next moment I was on the road heading towards Churu (enroute Bahadurgarh, Sampla, Bhiwani and Jhunjhunu). Barely I had travelled few miles w