Skip to main content

Day 1 - Delhi to Churu


Though I was all set I was yet to share the plan with my father. Not surprisingly he wasn't pleased and this was not the first time. By now I have practiced the art of convincing my dad.

A day before the journey I went through my most basic checklist: full fuel tank - checked, air pressure - checked. It was cold outside and I made sure to park the bike in shade to avoid early morning ignition issues. By now I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, that very same feeling I get a night before my bike trips; trying hard to sleep but countless thoughts and the anxiety encroaching my mind.




Almost 7 in the morning I and my sister were ready to leave and as a rule of thumb I switched on the engine and left it running for couple of minutes. Though a rare sight, my husband woke up early to click some pics for us and see us off. The next moment I was on the road heading towards Churu (enroute Bahadurgarh, Sampla, Bhiwani and Jhunjhunu). Barely I had travelled few miles when my body desperately was craving for a nap and I wish I had slept at least few hours last night. I took a short break, an opportunity to click some pics while stretching my muscles.



Just within 3 hours of my ride and no where close to Churu, Interestingly I already was having a sense of achievement. Crawling through the horrendous Delhi traffic it took me almost 3 hours to be on the Rohtak Highway. It's a straight highway upto Bahadurgarh and it was only when I reached Bahadurgarh I realised I had missed a turn. My cellphone had no better use than a music player without any network connection. To figure out where exactly I was and to get the right direction I was relying on help from any fellow road user. Standing by the side of the barren road I waited for few minutes when finally a mid-age man, an extremely kind person, came to our rescue. First of all it took a while for him to realise he is not hallucinating and he was both awestruck and thrilled to see 2 girls on bike on a barren road. Before we could ask for any help he curiously began the conversation:

Mid-age gentleman - Beta tum dono akele ho ? tumhara baaki group to peeche aa raha hoga na ? (Are you guys alone ? Is your group following you behind ?)

I (with a hint of smugness) - Nahi uncle bas hum dono hi hain aur ye meri chhoti sister hain. Hum log dilli se bike par Rajasthan ghumne aaye hain. Hame aage Churu jaana hain, aap thoda guide kariye. (No, we are alone and she is my younger sister. We are coming from Delhi for a trip to Rajasthan and can you help us with directions)




He wished us good luck and expressed how glad and proud he is. My moment of "feeling elated" didn't last long when he added that we missed the turn several miles back but there is a longer route if we keep riding ahead. I decided not to retract my route and preferred the longer route.

We stopped for breakfast in a roadside dhaba and it turned out to be a bad experience. We ordered a sandwich which was pricier than what you get in Delhi airport and the quality didn't even meet the college canteen. Funny thing is that the dhaba owner came with a piece of paper asking for feedback.

At the back of my mind I was worried for my sister since this was her first long bike trip. Not only I made sure to eat healthy and keep ourselves hydrated we also kept chatting, admiring the road, cracking jokes and singing songs to keep entertained.





Our stay in Churu was in "Malji ka Kamra", an exceptionally beautiful 200 years old haveli, courtesy to a friend who runs the haveli.


After a long tiring day and extra 80 kms of routing and re-routing we reached Churu at around 5 in the evening. The view of the clock tower at the entrance of the city was alluring as the last rays of the setting sun kissed the old red structure. The city is different than what I had imagined, chaotic, narrow streets and local mart at every corner.




Our hotel was a site to see; impressive architecture, decorated room, frescos paintings, beautiful verandah. Just 15 years back it was an abandoned haveli with no one but bats and pigeons echoing its corridor. The current owners not only restored the haveli but also the rich heritage which was left neglected underneath the sheet of dust from past.


At the end of the day all my tiredness was gone to see my sister's glittering eyes. She was happy, excited and didn't feel the pain of the day as she  shared her experiences with my parents on phone. That's the last image of the day I remember before I fell asleep like a log.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Space Cake - An illusory journey

Space cake : an experience that was so illusionary, unreal, other worldly and quite frustrating at the same time. Though not looked upon with much respect among the dutch, it's quite a popular item in the list of thing to try for tourists in Amsterdam. Though I read about its effect and experiences but it only made into my list when I moved to Amsterdam almost 2 years back. While wandering through the streets of Amsterdam, a coffee shop in particular rang a bell as I remember it was mentioned by a dutch friend in context with genuine weed and space cake. Not as planned, I and my husband decided to pop in with a pure intention to just gain some awareness about it and were back within few minutes with handful of muffins and cakes, three pieces to be precise. We blindly followed the recommendation and instructions from the man in the shop. It was a week day and we decided to go less adventurous this time and wait until Friday to give it a try. It rested silently, like any other