Skip to main content

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My search for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight.
Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my companion. As time went by I realised it was not as good as it looked. Going crazy and brakeless on chin slips, quite tough to steer on a windy day without gears and not enough ways to carry stuff on it. Infact on few occasions I almost rammed into things. Still, no matter what it was my companion.

One day when I was leaving for work, I realised my bike was gone and the only thing left was the tyre locked pretty well to a pole. Heartbreaking, I was shattered, my lovely little bike was stolen. I spent few days remembering all the beautiful moments I spent with her until one fine day when I woke up I saw my bike right in front of my house. M I dreaming ? I couldn't believe and ran for it. It had a broken handle and a weird looking large tyre attached to it. Some very intelligent thief tried his best to reassemble and make the bike sellebale but probably gave up and decided to leave it from where it was picked. Though it was the same bike, but something was missing. I still loved her but not so much after I met a dashing looking mountain bike in a store. It was again a love at first sight and this MTB was now standing right at my house the very next day. A new chapter started and my journeys continued but this time on my new lovely MTB with gears. I changed house and moved on but my fixie still stood in my backyard. But, I felt it was the time for me to let her go and find someone more suited and it wasn't very hard. The moment I posted the ad, there were lot of people who fell in love with my fixie at the very first sight and soon my fixie was gone. I still miss her and it will always be my first love in Netherlands

My new first love in the Netherlands ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

Day 1 - Delhi to Churu

Though I was all set I was yet to share the plan with my father. Not surprisingly he wasn't pleased and this was not the first time. By now I have practiced the art of convincing my dad. A day before the journey I went through my most basic checklist: full fuel tank - checked, air pressure - checked. It was cold outside and I made sure to park the bike in shade to avoid early morning ignition issues. By now I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, that very same feeling I get a night before my bike trips; trying hard to sleep but countless thoughts and the anxiety encroaching my mind. Almost 7 in the morning I and my sister were ready to leave and as a rule of thumb I switched on the engine and left it running for couple of minutes. Though a rare sight, my husband woke up early to click some pics for us and see us off. The next moment I was on the road heading towards Churu (enroute Bahadurgarh, Sampla, Bhiwani and Jhunjhunu). Barely I had travelled few miles w