Skip to main content

Zagreb - A city not to be missed !!

Having explored quite a few countries in Western Europe, we wanted to plan a trip to the east and see the other side of europe. Croatia was top in our list with an endless list of iconic picture perfect places such as Pltivic, Krka, Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik and many more. This country has everything from beautiful nature, mountains, coastline, forests and waterfalls to midnblowing beuty of small towns and cities. We decided to do a roadtrip across the Croatia to genuinely appreciate and feel the country. Our starting point was Zagreb, the capital. It was a city beyond over imagination since it has so much more to do and see than we ever imagined.
Walk around the city
You can literally spend several hours just strolling through the streets and discovering something unique at every corner. .The town is divided into two parts upper and lower town. You can take a fenicular to reach upper or if you are fit enough you can just walk. Most of thetourist attractions are in upper town of Zagreb. We started our exploration by having brunch at "Royal India"(an Indian restaurant) at Ul. Ivana Tkalčića 26.This street was quite happening filled with lots of restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops.

Stone gate
It's one of the gates to the upper town(old city of Zagreb). Within the gate, you will find a shrine and stone praising the mother of God. It's Zagreb's most important shrine. The entry to this gate is free and it's mostly visited by the people who come to light a candle to thank the lady for protecting them. As you walk through the gate, stop for a minute and feel the peace and tranquility of flickering candle light and silent prayers.
PC:Google
St.Marks church

St.marks Church is quite an important monument  of Zagreb as its only monument preserved from medieval times apart from stone gate. IIt's colorful tiled roof is what it makes it very different and draws attention. I streets around this church is also worth strolling however what I found astonishing is people were driving in so fast around the church and in the streets. So watch out for them.
Tunnel Gric
We continued out walk to Tunnel Gric. It's a 150meters pitch dark Tunnel which was used to store weapons during world war 2.
Art Park
Art park is a small park with different kind of paintings and graffities on the walls, doors. If you are tired, you can relax here for sometime.
PC: Google
View Point
Next in our itinerary was the view point where you can see the two spire cathedral with red tiled house roofs. This is the perfect spot for photographers and for the selfie lovers. View from here was just perfect. The bright sun, clear blue sky made it even more suitable for clicking the best pictures.
Flee Market
We got down to the local flee market near to horse statue. You can buy souvenirs and other stuff from this market. You will also find real nice lavender products for cheaper price. I bought few things myself.There is also famous farmers markets called Dolca where you can buy fresh fruits. Please keep in mind that market closes at 1pm.
Two spire cathedral
Two spire cathedral is one of the most beautiful site in Zagreb. It was quite tall and one of it's spire was covered for renovation. Admission to the cathedral is free.
By now we were tired and it was time for a break. We headed to a near by park to relax  and get a power nap. It worked wonders. We spent our evening by sitting at the square.
It was time to head back to our room and on the way was, we spent sometime in zagreb fontana.
We spent only one day In Zagreb as we like off route places more than the cities but if you like, you can easily spend more number of days here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Day 1 - Delhi to Churu

Though I was all set I was yet to share the plan with my father. Not surprisingly he wasn't pleased and this was not the first time. By now I have practiced the art of convincing my dad. A day before the journey I went through my most basic checklist: full fuel tank - checked, air pressure - checked. It was cold outside and I made sure to park the bike in shade to avoid early morning ignition issues. By now I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, that very same feeling I get a night before my bike trips; trying hard to sleep but countless thoughts and the anxiety encroaching my mind. Almost 7 in the morning I and my sister were ready to leave and as a rule of thumb I switched on the engine and left it running for couple of minutes. Though a rare sight, my husband woke up early to click some pics for us and see us off. The next moment I was on the road heading towards Churu (enroute Bahadurgarh, Sampla, Bhiwani and Jhunjhunu). Barely I had travelled few miles w