Skip to main content

Day 2 Exploring Churu


Energized, after a good night sleep, I was all set to explore in and around Churu. I had already scouted the area online and read about Ramgarh and Mehansar. These two little towns in shekhawati region are famous for numerous havelis. Though unfrequented by Indian tourists, this region is quite popular among the foreigners and soon I knew why. I was stunned to see the colorful hand paintings, painted with natural colors, and how well they captured the minute details to perfection. Every single brushstroke is delightful to watch & no wonder it took years to build these havelis as the artists carved life into the walls.
After the breakfast, light and delicious poha, we were on road at 7 in the morning. Mahansar is a small village around 15 km from Churu and is famous for "Golden Haveli". The haveli get its name from Sanskrit mantras written all over the walls in gold. We relied solely on help from locals to reach Mahansar and search for the haveli. The whole town including the Haveli is non commercialized and the haveli is still managed my the real owner. We were quite early and the Haveli was still close. We were wandering around when a mid-aged gentle men approached us and started conversation. He offered to guide us to the nearby "Thakur ji" temple and we joined him. To my surprise, the temple was huge and it enshrines several deities, probably among very few temples with an idol of Lord Hanuman's son. The terrace was beautiful; water bowls and grain for birds and the stunning view of the surrounding forts. I couldn't resist not spending sometime feeling the gentle morning breeze and soft sunshine. The gentlemen invited us to his house but as we were running short of time we half-halfheartedly declined his request. I offered him some money for the time he spent showing us the temple which he found offending and we were embarrassed. But it's rare to find a person with no hidden intentions behind a kind gesture. We didn't have enough words to thank him as we parted ways.
By now the Haveli was open and what a fortunate day since the owner himself was present to give us a tour. The moment we stepped onto the verendah I was in a different world, awestruck and open-mouthed. The walls were wholly painted from top to bottom with every possible shade of color and meticulously designed artwork. I have never seen such a beautiful story telling through paintings and colors. One side of the wall captured the epic of Ramayana with pictures from Sita swayamwar, Ram's exile, Hanuman burning lanka and Ranm killing Ravan. On the other side, it was Krishna Leela depicting the birth of Krishna in Jail, Nandgaon and Krishna dancing with Gopis. Besides the stories from Hindu mythology the paintings also portrayed life of Budhha and other random pieces of art. Our guide was a good narrator and I could see his excitement and energy while showing the place to us. Shockingly, he doesn't charge anything and only 100 bucks from foreign tourists. I suggested him to start collecting tickets and he can use the money to further improve and protect the Haveli. He told even if he wish to charge higher price, his kids won't agree. He regretted that his family could only value the worth of this place 30-35 years and realised how lucky they are to inherit such a precious heritage. He was a humble man with lots of respect and pride for his forefathers.
Next we headed to the fort and were disappointed to see it was close until we heard someone calling. It took a while to realize that was for us and a man reached out to us intrigued to see just two of us on the bike. We asked if there is anyway we can go inside the fort and soon we realized the fort was actually his house. We went inside and met his family including his cute little daughter. His house was traditional Rajput architecture and was beautifully decorated. They requested us to stay and have food with them but we still had Ramgarh to visit. On our way to Ramgarh, I was already missing last few hours I spent in Mahansar and some nice people I met.


Ramgarh was 15 Km long ride on a barren narrow yet good tar road through the desert. Ramgarh is a bigger town than Mahansar, crowded lanes and markets and we saw several funny yet strange donkey carts.
There are several haveli's in Ramgarh but unfortunately most of them are in very bad shape. They are abandoned by their owners who have left for business in other big cities in India and abroad. It's bitterly sad to see such precious treasure being erased with time which once stood proud as the symbol of Rajasthan's rich history. To some relief, we found a Haveli that was recently renovated and we went inside to take some photos. Not to our surprise and keeping up with the reputation of Rajasthan, people are super friendly, helpful and hospitable. We stopped at a small shop for lunch which was clean and not to mention the food was simple yet super delicious.
By 6 PM we were back to Churu visiting Jain temple, like many others I have seen in past it was beautifully decorated with mirros. We also visited a small museum that kept an account of more than 1000 years.
It was almost the end of my second day of the trip. As I strolled through the narrow and crowded lanes of this typical Rajasthani town I was happy. A sense of satisfaction of being where I wanted to be few days back and at the centre of so many colors, smiling faces and smell of dinner being cooked from nearby houses. Remembering the cute little girl, few good people who cared and the view from the terrace I retired for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What better time than now...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. What better place than here ? what better time than now ? - Zach de la Rocha All my life I have stayed in India and never had an urge to go abroad. One reason is because India itself is so diverse and beautiful and there is so much to see and explore that not even one life is enough. Also, through all my biking trips and travels I have found endless peace and excitement that I never had to look anywhere else. For the first time I moved out from India to Amsterdam, The Dutch capital. A country lying below sea level and mostly has flat terrain. It has a long history of social tolerance and generally regarded as a liberal country having legalized abortion,prostitution and euthanasia. I remember some of my colleagues in Bosch who visited Europe and never stopped babbling their experiences. Nobody honks and people follow traffic rules and if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist you will actually be respected more on roads. No one wou

My first love in the Netherlands ....

From centuries old windmills, tulip fields, fishing villages, unique country side, enchanting canals and amazing nightlife, Netherlands is famous for countless things. I came to this country in 2016 and immediately fell in love. I live in Amsterdam and the the first shocker was the amount of bikes everywhere. I love bikes and had one back home. As much as it was a shock, it was fascinating and inspiring. My searc h for a a bike that suits me started on the very first day of my arrival. Though rough and tough, I found the dutch city bikes boring, ugly and heavy and not something for my taste. My husband tried all tricks to convince me but I was unshakable and wanted something differet. Finally I stumbled upon this pink sleek beauty and It was love at first sight. Next day it become our family member and I was so happy exploring the beautiful city like local on my lovely cute bike. Be it going for groceries, yoga classes on the other side of city or job interviews, my fixie was my co

Space Cake - An illusory journey

Space cake : an experience that was so illusionary, unreal, other worldly and quite frustrating at the same time. Though not looked upon with much respect among the dutch, it's quite a popular item in the list of thing to try for tourists in Amsterdam. Though I read about its effect and experiences but it only made into my list when I moved to Amsterdam almost 2 years back. While wandering through the streets of Amsterdam, a coffee shop in particular rang a bell as I remember it was mentioned by a dutch friend in context with genuine weed and space cake. Not as planned, I and my husband decided to pop in with a pure intention to just gain some awareness about it and were back within few minutes with handful of muffins and cakes, three pieces to be precise. We blindly followed the recommendation and instructions from the man in the shop. It was a week day and we decided to go less adventurous this time and wait until Friday to give it a try. It rested silently, like any other